Current:Home > reviewsBorder Patrol response to Uvalde school shooting marred by breakdowns and poor training, report says -VisionFunds
Border Patrol response to Uvalde school shooting marred by breakdowns and poor training, report says
Surpassing Quant Think Tank Center View
Date:2025-04-06 15:14:02
UVALDE, Texas (AP) — U.S. Border Patrol agents who rushed to the school shooting in Uvalde, Texas, in May 2022 failed to establish command at the scene and had insufficient training to deal with what became one of the nation’s deadliest classroom attacks, according to a federal report released Thursday.
The review by the Department of Homeland Security’s Office of Professional Responsibility is the first to specifically scrutinize the actions of the 188 Border Patrol agents who gathered at Robb Elementary School, more than any other law enforcement entity. A teenage gunman with an AR-style rifle killed 19 students and two teachers inside a fourth-grade classroom before a group led by a Border Patrol tactical team entered the room and fatally shot him, according to investigators.
Since the shooting, Border Patrol has largely not faced the same sharp criticism as Texas state troopers and local police over the failure to confront the shooter sooner. The gunman was inside the South Texas classroom for more than 70 minutes while a growing number of police, state troopers and federal agents remained outside in the hallways.
Two Uvalde school police officers accused of failing to act were indicted this summer and have pleaded not guilty.
Families of the victims have long sought accountability for the slow police response in the South Texas city.
Over 90 state police officials were at the scene, as well as school and city police. Multiple federal and state investigations have laid bare cascading problems in law enforcement training, communication, leadership and technology, and questioned whether officers prioritized their own lives over those of children and teachers.
A report released by state lawmakers about two months after the shooting found “egregiously poor decision-making” by law enforcement. And among criticisms included in a U.S. Justice Department report released earlier this year was that there was “no urgency” in establishing a command center, creating confusion among police about who was in charge. That report highlighted problems in training, communication, leadership and technology that federal officials said contributed to the crisis lasting far longer than necessary.
While terrified students and teachers called 911 from inside classrooms, dozens of officers stood in the hallway trying to figure out what to do. Desperate parents who had gathered outside the building pleaded with them to go in.
A release last month by the city of a massive collection of audio and video recordings from that day included 911 calls from students inside the classroom. One student who survived can be heard begging for help in a series of 911 calls, whispering into the phone that there were “a lot” of bodies and telling the operator: “Please, I don’t want to die. My teacher is dead. Oh, my God.”
The 18-year-old gunman entered the school at 11:33 a.m., first opening fire from the hallway, then going into two adjoining fourth-grade classrooms. The first responding officers arrived at the school minutes later. They approached the classrooms, but then retreated as the gunman opened fire.
Finally, at 12:50 p.m., a group led by a Border Patrol tactical team entered one of the classrooms and fatally shot the gunman.
Jesse Rizo, whose niece Jacklyn Cazares was one of the students killed, said that while he hadn’t seen the report, he was briefed by family members who had and was disappointed to hear that no one was held accountable in the report.
“We’ve expected certain outcomes after these investigations, and it’s been letdown after letdown,” said Rizo, who is on the Uvalde school board.
Two of the responding officers now face criminal charges. Former Uvalde school Police Chief Pete Arredondo and former school officer Adrian Gonzales have pleaded not guilty to multiple charges of child abandonment and endangerment. A Texas state trooper in Uvalde who was suspended has been reinstated.
Last week, Arredondo asked a judge to throw out the indictment. He has said he should not have been considered the incident commander and has been “scapegoated” into shouldering the blame for law enforcement failures that day.
Uvalde police this week said a staff member was put on paid leave after the department finished an internal investigation into the discovery of additional video following the massive release last month of audio and video recordings.
Victims’ families have filed a $500 million federal lawsuit against law enforcement who responded to the shooting.
veryGood! (7228)
Related
- Whoopi Goldberg is delightfully vile as Miss Hannigan in ‘Annie’ stage return
- Mandy Moore Makes Rare Comment About Ex Andy Roddick 2 Decades After His U.S. Open Win
- Joe Manganiello Gets Massive New Tattoo Following Sofia Vergara Breakup
- Shakira to receive Video Vanguard Award, perform at MTV VMAs for first time in 17 years
- Jorge Ramos reveals his final day with 'Noticiero Univision': 'It's been quite a ride'
- 'Factually and legally irresponsible': Hawaiian Electric declines allegations for causing deadly Maui fires
- Kim calls for North Korean military to be constantly ready to smash US-led invasion plot
- Michigan woman pleads no contest in 2022 pond crash that led to drowning deaths of her 3 young sons
- Meet first time Grammy nominee Charley Crockett
- Former Pirates majority owner and newspaper group publisher G. Ogden Nutting has died at 87
Ranking
- New Mexico governor seeks funding to recycle fracking water, expand preschool, treat mental health
- Why Jessica Simpson Left Hollywood With Her Family and Moved to Nashville for the Summer
- Former NFL player Marshawn Lynch gets November trial date in Las Vegas DUI case
- US consumer confidence wanes as summer draws to a close
- Head of the Federal Aviation Administration to resign, allowing Trump to pick his successor
- Elton John is 'in good health' after being hospitalized for fall at home
- Spanish soccer official faces sexual abuse investigation as his mother goes on hunger strike
- Spanish soccer federation officials call for Luis Rubiales' resignation
Recommendation
John Galliano out at Maison Margiela, capping year of fashion designer musical chairs
NFL roster cuts 2023: Tracking teams' moves before Tuesday deadline
Ariana Grande shares confessions about 'Yours Truly' album, including that 'horrible' cover
France’s education minister bans long robes in classrooms. They’re worn mainly by Muslims
Whoopi Goldberg is delightfully vile as Miss Hannigan in ‘Annie’ stage return
MSG Sphere announces plan to power 70% of Las Vegas arena with renewable energy, pending approval
The Virginia man accused of fatally shooting a New Jersey pastor has been denied bail
Swiatek rolls and Sakkari falls in the US Open. Gauff, Djokovic and Tiafoe are in action